Jan 11, 2007

Framed Albums + *Ddubs* Comp #1


Framing a few of your favorite albums can be a cool way to add some art to the walls. The above photo is from my ultra cool neighbors Nina + Dan's apartment. They bought some records at a garage sale and then never really put them to use, so Nina aptly decided they'd fare better on the walls than in a dusty box. I have an album framed too, Paul McCartney's 1970 solo album, that seemed like the acme of rock and roll when I was 14, but turns out it isn't that great (still, it sounds unbelievable in comparison to his Wings albums...yikes). I think albums leaning against walls on shelves look better than having them actually hung on the wall—it's a little more casual and a little less archival. So if you have any open shelf area and some record sleeves sitting around, go to your local Urban Outfitters (for better or worse Nina, Dan, and I live right behind one) or to the website and get 2 for $15.

Here's what I've been listening to this week while I "work". Most of these are placid, subdued songs, but that doesn't mean they don't have soul. Stay tuned for more *Ddubs*. All of the below are available on iTunes store.

*Ddubs* Compilation #1.
1. BAND OF HORSES, "The End's Not Near" from the album Everything All The Time (2006) If Neil Young was an indie rocker I think it would sound something like this.

2. SQUAREPUSHER, "Tommib Help Buss" from the album Ultravisitor (2004) I'm a novice when it comes to electronic music, but this is the most relaxing song I've ever heard.

3. ANDREW BIRD, "A Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left" from the album The Mysterious Production of Eggs (2005) Bird, a former jazz violinist, masters sub-pop within a jazz structure; it's like 3 songs in one.

4. SUFJAN STEVENS, "The Dress Looks Nice on You" from the album Seven Swans (2006) I can't get enough of the folky eloquence that is Sufjan Stevens.

5. ROGUE WAVE, "You" from the album Descended Like Vultures (2005) It's hard to pick one Rogue Wave song, but this is the one I've been listening to lately.

6. JONI MITCHELL, "This Flight Tonight" from the album Blue (1971) She wrote most of the songs from Blue after she broke off her engagement to Graham Nash and jetted off for Europe. It is a perfect album.

No comments: