Jan 28, 2009

Shepard Fairey's 20 year retrospective


Speaking of Shepard Fairey, my friend Anne (who's mom is friend's with Fairey's mom--how awesome is that?) is going to his first museum survey opening in February at the ICA Boston. I had no idea the Obey Giant campaign has been going on for two decades; I definitely remember seeing those stickers and posters on street signs and buildings in Boston when I was in high school, but I had no idea it's been in the works since '89. The ICA show, "Shepard Fairey: Supply & Demand", will feature over 80 works from the Obey Giant stencil to screen prints of political revolutionaries. In complement to the exhibition, Fairey will be creating public art works at sites around Boston like the photo above and below. There's a pretty cool Obey Giant coaster set ($12) and a special edition print publication ($60) already on sale at the museum store for those crazy Sherpard Fairey collectors out there.

No comments: