Apr 7, 2009

Modern Love


I'm not too girlie when it comes to reading material, but I do have one vice: The Modern Love section of The New York Times. They're really honest first-person accounts of relationship issues in the modern world. I was behind and catching up this morning on last week's article, My Clock Was Already Ticking, an account of a woman who ends a relationship with a man because she wants a baby and he doesn't. His parting gift? A 1930's Lawson clock by Kem Weber. She was appalled that he gave such an ironic and soulless item as they broke it off. Yeah I get it, it's just a clock and she wanted a family. It's not comparable. But as parting gifts go, this has to be one of the best. I'm not saying, I'm just saying...has anyone ever left a relationship with a better collectible?

1 comment:

mimi said...

i kind of think it's cool. am i soulless? it's classy, he didn't want kids what can he do? it's symbolic and it's stylish. did she want a long letter?