Jan 8, 2007

Amateur Art


Everytime I'm talking to a friend who has small kids I ask them if they have any extra kid-art laying around that I could have, and then they sort of look at me like I'm a serial killer. I am a huge fan of kid-art because once in about 50 times I find something so uninhibited and pure that I want to frame it. I was on the Volcom website this afternoon looking for board shorts or something when I saw that they have art made by their professional surfers, skateboarders and snowboarders up, some of which resembles kid-art (and I mean that in the most non-condescending way). The above watercolor and ink is by skateboard powerhouse Mark Appleyard. Volcom wrote that "Mark's crude style juxtaposes his precise and deft athletic ability with amazing contrast and his child-like interpretations of the current skateboard lifestyle." If I could, I would buy this, but I don't think it's for sale. Check out more of the Volcom artist series right here. And make sure to check out what your 7 year-old nephew is up to on the art front.

No comments: