Oct 30, 2007

When design gets deadly...


You may have noticed that in the past few years guns have become fashionable, only as long as they're not real. Take a look a t-shirts, necklaces, and notebooks, and, well, living room accessories. The gun has become a nouveau pop symbol and its meaning (while I'm not completely sure) is being used by designers to make people think about war and peace. Most credit for the trend I believe is due to Philippe Starck with his emblematic 2005 Gun Collection for Flos consisting of both table and floor models. Starck states that, "The gold of the weapons represents the collision between money and war and the black shade signifies death, the crosses on the inside are to remind us of our dead ones...The Guns Collection is nothing but a sign of the times. We get the symbols we deserve." Another in on the trend includes Suck UK's 3Guns ceramic table vase ($55); Starck's 18K gold Table Gun Lamp ($1,748); chillichilly's Gun Mug ($16).

"I am a designer and design is my only weapon, so I use it to speak about what I think is important."
-Philippe Starck

No comments: