Dec 26, 2007

Happy Boxing Day!


Just came back from a fab Boxing Day party, a genius holiday which from now on I'm paying a lot more attention to. Traditionally Boxing Day is a holiday that typically falls on December 26th and is celebrated in the U.K. and its commonwealths. Boxing Day, which dates back to the Middle Ages, of which the primary practice is the giving of gifts to employees, the poor, or to people in a lower social class (they were busy making the Christmas goose the day before). Some resources source the name from "To give a Christmas-box"; hence the term boxing-day. Whatever, I'm celebrating the end of family dysfunction. Period. The party was wonderful not only because it was low-key and stress-free, but because one of the host's extended family member from Australia (see? real Boxing Day peeps) is Clare Reynolds an up-and-coming Australian folk singer a la Vanessa Carlton who performed several songs for us off her debut album "Inside My Head", which you can purchase on itunes (key tracks: "Come Back", "Inside My Head"). Seriously, I think this is my favorite holiday.

1 comment:

Prêt à Voyager said...

I've decided I'm over Christmas. I think Boxing Day sounds like the perfect holiday! Next year that's what I'll be celebrating!