Mar 9, 2008

Salvage One


On Friday I posted about wanting to add a chalkboard to the kitchen this weekend, but wasn't sure if we were going to paint the wall directly with chalkboard paint, buy a frame, hang a board, etc. Larry Vodak, the owner of Scout, suggested I try Salvage One for some large sheets of old slate they have stored in the back. I'm so glad we did, the people that work there were so friendly and willing to get involved with our project. They're cutting down the slate for us and attaching some reclaimed wood to the back for hanging. I think it's going to look really cool.
I included Salvage One in the Chicago Design Guide I wrote for Design*Sponge last October, and I can't believe that it took until now to finally get in there personally. It's an old shoe factory full of intriguing architectural elements from dozens of eras—a great place to check out, especially with a project in mind. Their postcard I scanned (above) says it all. We're picking it up today, so hopefully I'll be able to posts a photo tonight or tomorrow. Thanks Larry!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The top picture scares me.