Apr 22, 2010

>> in the loop


My friend Alex and I went to the Los Angeles Antiques Show preview night yesterday at the Barker Hangar in Santa Monica, which is open to the public now until Sunday and worth a visit if you're in the neighborhood. There are 50-some exhibitors from all over California, the U.S. and even a few in from Europe. The booth that I really thought was stealing the show was predictably the New York and L.A.-based antiques dealer Downtown. I forgot my camera battery (of course), but they have a great little set up of mid-century designs that actually look really fresh. Downtown also has a collection of pieces inspired by iconic design that they manufacture new, like the above Frances Elkins loop chairs, that I would literally kill someone for. I know the new outdoor chair on the far left can be powder coated in hundreds of colors and I think goes for about $2,200 a chair, and my guess is the prices get steeper from there.

A scan from my copy of Frances Elkins Interior Design ($44) of Mr. and Mrs. Wheeler's living room in Lake Forest, Illinois circa 1934.

2 comments:

danielle said...

I want those. big time.

Paris Hotel Boutique said...

Ah, love that show! And Downtown is one of my favorite shops ever. If only I had an unlimited budget, I'd redecorate my whole house with their pieces!