Feb 16, 2007

Marina City


When I was a kid I thought Marina City, the above Chicago buildings, was the ugliest piece of architecture I had ever laid eyes on. I thought they looked liked two giant concrete corn cobs that straddled the House of Blues. Now I have more appreciation for them, not only for their pop culture significance (Ferris Bueller, Wilco, The Hunter, The Breakup), but for their historical and architectural weight. The Marina City complex was designed in 1959 by architect Bertrand Goldberg and when finished, in 1964 the two towers were both the tallest residential buildings and the tallest reinforced concrete structures in the world. I'm off to Chicago for the long weekend and I am sure I'm going to get at least a few glances at the towers, I'm also hoping I'll be able to visit some of my favorite stores like Lille, Stitch, Jayson Home & Garden and for great vintage finds, Una Mae's Freak Boutique. Back with more posts on Wednesday.

No comments: