Oct 15, 2007

The Ultimate Man Chair


I was on the Paul Stuart website (why was I on that website? I don't know.) and saw the above image for their new "modern" line of men's clothes. Kudos to the creative team who aptly paired men's fashion with the Eames Lounge Chair No. 670, it makes a lot of sense. My dad taught me to read in this chair, so it holds a special place for me, and I've always thought of it as the quintessential Dad chair. Of course it's well-designed and comfortable, but it's also unabashedly masculine. Charles Eames said his goal for the chair was the "warm, receptive look of a well-used first baseman's mitt." What guy couldn't get behind that, or put his behind on that? (Zing!) I would even go as far as to say it exudes a sense of executive power—just makes you want to put a suit on and smoke a pipe, right? It was designed in 1956 as the Eames' first design for the luxury end of the furniture market, retailing for $634 in 1957. Today it's over $3,000 including the ottoman. But, if you keep your eyes out there are early production models out there in the $500-$1,500 range, check craigslist, ebay, and your local garage sales. For a new model click here.

No comments: